close banner
Name Change

How to Change Your Name After Marriage in Washington D.C.

Changing My Name After Marriage in District of Columbia

In the District of Columbia, it is common practice for newlywed couples to change or revise their last names after marriage. There are many cultural and personal connotations to this practice. However, a name change also has many legal implications. In light of this fact, couples are advised to follow specific administrative processes to ensure that their name change is legal, and their new name is recognized. These processes ensure that there are discrepancies in their public or private information, and the individual(s) do not run the risk of losing access to essential services that require their biodata.

District of Columbia marriage records are critical for facilitating name change requests in the state. Hence, interested and eligible persons must request these records from local court custodians or repositories before their name change requests are processed.

How to Change Your Name After Marriage in Washington D.C.

The District of Columbia Superior Court is tasked with processing name change requests made within the state’s jurisdiction. However, all name change applications must be made by current residents of the District of Columbia regardless of their place of birth.

Applicants are required to download and complete the District of Columbia Name Change Application. Requests must be accompanied by several supporting documents including certified copies of their proof of residence within the state, a valid photo ID, and a marriage certificate. Subsequently, the requesting party will be required to appear before a judge, and notify third-party institutions of the name change within 10 days of filing the application. The cost of processing a name change request in DC is approximately $60.

How to Update Your Social Security Card in the District of Columbia

Pursuant to the D.C. official code § 3-1205.05(b) social security numbers are required to access selected services including applications for certifications and licensing. Hence, newlyweds who have opted to change or revise their last names must contact their local Social Security Office and have the information on their Social Security Card updated.

To update a social security card in The District of Columbia, interested and eligible persons must complete an application and mail the request, along with the following supporting documents:

  • Certified marriage certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Court order linking the previous name with the new name

Non-U.S. citizens may also be required to submit original primary evidence such as a driver’s license, state ID, and/or U.S. international passport (if the application will be mailed).

Applications must then be mailed to the local security office or local social security card center in the town where the couple is resident or was licensed to marry.

How to Get a New Driver’s License in the District of Columbia

After an official name change in the District of Columbia, eligible parties must contact the state DMV to update the personal information displayed on their driver’s license. All name changes must begin with the Social Security Administration after which requestors may petition their local DMV for a name change.

To get a new drivers license in the District of Columbia, the petitioner must visit their local DMV service center along with the following:

  • Current DC driver license, learner permit or non-driver ID card.
  • Certified marriage certificate (Supporting name change due to marriage)
  • Official U.S. court change of name document

All the above documents may be submitted at the nearest DC DMV Service Center Locations. Subsequently, the petitioner will be contacted to retrieve their new license containing their updated information.

How to Update Your Insurance Information in the District of Columbia?

Once married, an individual may be required to update their personal information with their insurance provider(s). The eligibility requirements and process involved for making this update is primarily dependent on the provider as well as the kind of coverage which said individual is subscribed to. Whatever the case, there are a few universal requirements for updating insurance information in the District of Columbia, they include:

  • The previous name (in full)
  • Current name (as updated)
  • Marriage certificate
  • Change of name document (issued by the state Superior Court)
  • Relevant information on whether or not the nature of the coverage will need to be updated given their current marital status.

All requests should be directed to the insurance provider(s) concerned. Applications may be turned in via email, on-site or online.

Where Do I Go to Change My Last Name in the District of Columbia?

Eligible persons who want to change their last name in the District of Columbia may do so by submitting a completed application to the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Along with the application, the petitioner must also submit their personal information, Social Security number, and details of any relevant criminal history. Petitioners are also required to:

  • Notify individuals or institutions who will be impacted by the name change, and provide documentation to the court;
  • Schedule a court date for the name change
  • Send a copy of the final ruling to the Registrar of Vital Statistics

How to Update Information with District of Columbia Mortgage and Utility Companies?

Mortgage and Utility companies in the District of Columbia require individuals who have effected name changes to follow the below procedure for updating their information:

  • Obtain a certified marriage certificate or a copy of the certified Decree Changing Name.
  • Fill out the grant deed with the previous grantor’s name and the new grantee’s name.
  • Include the address, map, track, and page of the parcel in the legal description (available on original title)
  • A copy of the paperwork should be sent to the mortgage lender.
  • Sign the deed and file it with a copy of the certified Decree Changing Name form with the local county assessor’s office.

Customers may also manage their account information and invoices online depending on the utility supplier. On the other hand, eligible persons may request an account holder information form to be mailed to their home address. Upon completing the form, the requestor may mail the application along with a copy of the certified marriage certificate or court decree to the utility company.

What Documents Do I Need to Change My Name after Marriage?

In the District of Columbia, the documents required to request a name change after marriage typically vary depending on the individual or institution concerned. However, the following documents are basic requirements:

  • Certified Copies Of The Marriage Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Driver’s License
  • Passports
  • Bank Cards, And Credit Cards.

How to Get Certified Copies of Your Marriage License in the District of Columbia?

Individuals who require certified copies of their marriage license may contact the municipality or the County Recorders Office where the license was issued. Alternatively, requestors may contact the Vital Records Division of the District of Columbia Department of Health since the department also serves as a repository for vital information of state residents.

How to Get a New Passport in the District of Columbia?

Interested and eligible persons may request a new passport in the District of Columbia after changing or revising their names. A variety of locations across the state accept passport applications, including libraries, post offices, and municipal buildings. Petitioners are required to include proof of citizenship as well as associated fees in their application. These requests are then processed by the U.S. Department of State. Applicants may follow the procedure below to request a new passport in the District of Columbia

  • Download and fill out the appropriate application form.
  • Prepare their most recent US passport and attach it to their application.
  • Obtain a verified marriage certificate or a court order and attach it.
  • Enclose the documents in a self-addressed stamped envelope
  • Send the application form and supporting papers or locate any passport office in the District of Columbia.

How to Change your Name on Bank Accounts in the District of Columbia?

Generally, institutional criteria and approaches differ when it comes to processing name change requests. Hence, interested parties are advised to enquire from their banking services provider, what documents are required to alter their name.

Banking institutions are likely to request documents such as a marriage certificate, updated Social Security card, and/or driver’s license. With one application, the requestor will be able to update all their financial information with the institution; this includes bank accounts, retirement funds, credit cards, and others.

To match the name changes, fill out and sign a W-9 form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification Form). However, the name in W9 Box 1 must exactly match the legal document the petitioner submits. Name changes typically take effect within 5-7 business days.

How Long Does it Take to Change Your Name in the District of Columbia After Marriage?

After receiving the name change decree, the requestor can legally assume the identity conferred by a change in marital status. Once the Social Security Administration completes the name change request and issues a new social security card, the change is reflected in state and government databases. However, name change requests on government databases can take several months, depending on the individual and the application. Given the arduous nature of the name change process, petitioners are often advised to seek the advice or services of a family law practitioner or a reputable independent service provider.



HomeFAQHelpPrivacyTerms of UseAccessibility StatementDo Not Sell My Personal Information